Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Day 44 - Nearly Washed Out

    October 21, 2016 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 20 °C

    As the title suggests, it decided to rain today. And rain. And rain some more. We eventually decided to brave it and head to a local cafe, Barcey's Coffee, for a late lunch. I finally got to try chicken and waffles and Alice had the salmon and eggs. We both really enjoyed our meals and the generous portion sizes.

    The rain slowed down and we went into Manhattan. By the time we exited the subway the sun was shining. Luckily we didn't have any definite plans for our last afternoon in New York and we enjoyed just walking around. One of our shopping aims however was to buy some decent tea. We ended up walking out of Wholefoods with one large box of English Breakfast tea and another containing Peppermint tea. How British! Also, whilst in Old Navy, a number of policemen and paramedics came rushing into the store and the front doors were locked effectively stopping people from leaving or entering. After much confusion and the build up of queues around the doors, they were unlocked and we were allowed to leave. Some of the people were saying that someone had been stabbed. Someone else said there was a robbery. Who knows? The city eh!

    Before we knew it the evening was upon us and it was time to meet Alice's cousin and husband for dinner. Penelope and Joe are a very nice couple and it was great for me to meet them for the first time. As we ate a lovely meal we discussed our joint experiences of the city as residents and tourists and also got to know more about each other. They suggested the restaurant as it is next to the High Line, a raised walking park that used to be a railway track. A fantastic suggestion that Alice and I made the most of before and after dinner.

    The day had started on a downer with the weather but it was saved by family and food. And tea.

    Song of the Day:
    Sting - Englishman in New York
    Read more