Satellite
  • Day 57

    Day 57 - Hi, Y'all!

    November 3, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    The weather has continued to impress, hitting 28 degrees today. There were a few things we wanted to see in Savannah and it wouldn't take too long to see them and so we took our time. We were advised by a local in the Persian restaurant last night that the best way to enjoy the city is to just walk around. It's not particularly big and has a grid formation with a large number of picturesque squares. He was not wrong.

    It is a beautiful city and retains that Southern charm. People are incredibly friendly and it has a genuine feel to it. Even in a clothes shop the guy working there asked about our accents and we proceeded to talk about everything from where he's lived to the baseball game last night. At no point was this a way to then point me in the way of a pair of trainers. Refreshing.

    We started the day with a healthy breakfast of eggs and then we headed to the riverside. The riverside immediately reminded both Alice and I of anywhere in France. The small cafes and shops and tree lined road were well looked after and we walked along the path next to the river stopping to read infomation boards on the way. It was nice and relaxing. Next up, was a walk into the city centre and we were looking for Chippewa Square specifically. It was the square where the famous park bench scene from Forrest Gump was filmed. The bench used in the movie was a prop and so we just went to the location of where it would have been, took obligatory photos and then found an actual bench to sit down on and admire the square. The sun was not giving up today and we did what you do when not doing much and it's hot. We got ice cream. Well Alice got ice cream and I decided on a cookie. I complimented my cookie with a coffee to go and we continued walking and window shopping, heading in the direction of our motel for a much needed rest from all this strolling.

    Dinner had been booked for the evening. The Old Pink House is described as 'Southern cuisine served in an elegant Colonial mansion'. We both shared fried green tomatoes because... it's the south... and they were great and for mains I went for the duck and Alice had the fried chicken and mac and cheese. Throughout the meal, not only did we have a very attentive server, but there was also a maitre d' who popped over to our table and peppered each new dish with a light joke. And whilst Alice and I shared our peanut mousse bomb, I think that's what it was called, another person came over to our table in colonial dress asking if everything was OK. It was all a great experience and Alice and I rolled all the way back to our motel.

    Some of the Day:
    Gladys Knight - Midnight Train to Georgia
    Read more