Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 66

    Day 66 - Walker Texas Riders

    November 12, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Texas is huge. We drove on a road that is over 880 miles long and that is just the part that is in Texas. We have driven on plenty of long interstates already this trip but Texas just feels bigger in every way. Even the pick up trucks look like they are on steroids with many having four wheels on the back axle for an average sized pick up! What do they carry in those things? Well, not much from what I've seen. They rarely have anything more than a tool box in them. In Texas, pick ups are king!

    On arrival in San Antonio we decided to have another Texan staple. Whataburger is a family run burger chain that is only available in Texas. Entering the restaurant reminded me of how McDonald's used to be, even down to the type of tables and chairs. There were pictures and photos of the owners who were proud to still run the company as they had since the 1950s. We both really enjoyed our dinner. The burgers were fresh, a good size and the fries were also tasty. We've had a few burgers in the US where they haven't measured up, for example In and Out Burger in San Francisco was over hyped for us as the burgers were greasy and quite small. If in Texas, we highly recommend this taste of nostalgia.

    And that was about it for the evening. Tomorrow, we explore San Antonio.

    Song of the Day:
    The Monkees - What Am I Doing Hanging Around (has San Antonio in the lyrics)
    Read more