Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 78

    Day 78 - Giving Thanks

    November 24, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 4 °C

    Happy Thanksgiving! More or less everything would be closed today and so we had very few plans outside of lunch.

    We woke up and started watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. With us being in a different time zone to the parade we got our timings mixed up and only caught the end. Handily, on another channel it was starting again with a time delay. There were lots of floats, including one with a sinister looking Ronald McDonald floating in a static crawling motion. The one thing more sinister than a huge leering Ronald McDonald was someone dressed as Ronald McDonald waving to the crowd in the back of a large red shoe. Yes, I find clowns sinister. I'd say my favourite float was the large turkey and Alice's was Pikachu. Then there were the floats with famous and maybe famous but I don't know them singers, all singing different songs as they pulled up outside Macy's with the word love prominently featuring in the lyrics. It looked cold but everyone was happy. Then there were the marching bands which I enjoyed the most. Dancing in the cold whilst playing and carrying a heavy brass instrument is no mean feat. I'm guessing. And just as we were getting into the parade, the TV station suddenly switched the feed to skijoring! No that's not a spelling mistake, skijoring is 'a winter sport where a person on skis is pulled by a horse, a dog (or dogs) or a motor vehicle' (Wikipedia). We must have been watching the parade on a local TV station as the skijoring was taking place in Colorado. It looked pretty cool actually but the disappointment in not being able to watch the middle of the parade, as we had by now watched the end and the beginning was a shame. Ah well.

    On arrival at the motel yesterday it was suggested to us by the owner to walk to downtown by following the Animus River. We took them up on that suggestion and left with an hour to spare before lunch. It was a fantastic suggestion and we took our time taking photos and reading the small number of information boards along the way. The few people that we saw all greeted us with Happy Thanksgiving and we duly replied. We reached our lunch reservation with time to spare and of course, it was turkey. It was a buffet and Alice and I were both impressed with the selection on offer. We had the turkey and beef with all the trimmings. Alice really liked the cheesy mash, just regular mash for me. It was all really nice but the fresh cranberry sauce really stood out. So that's how good cranberry sauce can taste! We had one of the numerous desserts on offer whilst we continued to sip our seasonal wine which contained cinnamon and orange peel. Bursting at the seams, we left the restaurant and visited the only shop in downtown that was open before slowly making our way back along the river again. Back at the motel, we got into elasticated pants (not the same one btw) and gorged on Thanksgiving TV and Movies.

    Song of the Day:
    Boyz II Men - Thank You
    Read more