Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 82

    Day 82 - Magical Zion

    November 28, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 0 °C

    Yep. Agreed. Magical.

    When we woke up there was plenty of snow around and it had stopped snowing at some point in the night. We went to get breakfast and made sure we were ready to tackle Zion.

    Our first walking trail was to see the Emerald Pools that seem to be named after their difficulty in getting to; lower, middle and upper. The trail winded around a mountainside and the higher we got the more we admired the wintry effect of snow resting on trees and ledges. The snow also begun to fall the higher we got and I suddenly felt like I was seeking enlightenment at the mountaintop from a wise man. The lower pool involved a cascading waterfall pooling a long distance below. We had to walk under it to progress up the mountain. The middle was next (of course) and I particularly liked this small pool that seemed to disappear over a cliff hedge. There was a large rock in the pool which perfectly accentuated the spiritual nature of the surroundings. The climb to the upper pool was harder as the walkway became more precarious and the snow increased with the ascent. The ice on the pathway added to the excitement and anticipation of the journey to the upper pool. Once reached it was definitely worth the trial. The upper pool was the most hidden of the three, with the pool facing away from the cliff side and against the mountain with a stream snaking its way past a few trees before finding its way to the cliff's edge. Looking inwards towards the large pool only added to the serenity and introspective nature of the area. The lack of tourists on our route up the mountain due to the time of year was another blessing. We soaked in the moment and the falling snow, telling each other what we already knew. This was another special moment of the trip.

    We worked our way back down the mountain and the snow began to peter out. We took a different route down at the halfway point, ensuring yet more photo opportunities. We returned to our cabin and turned both the fire and the kettle on. A cup of tea later and we decided to head out again as we were bound to get comfortable and stay in. Whilst in the cabin we spotted deer out of the window just wandering by and nibbling from trees here and there.

    We drove to another two walking trails. The first was Weeping Rock that was a short walk to an unusual rock formation where the rock face appeared to weep. The sun seemed to be coming out and so we proceeded to the next walk that was further away, the Riverside Walk. Bizarrely, as soon as we started on this trail the snow started again. It was also a lot harder than the snow seen earlier, even at upper pool. Luckily as it was a riverside walk and not a mountain climb we continued as the conditions worsened. Thirty minutes later we reached the end of the trail and saw some people wading around in the middle of the river barefooted. I repeat, it was snowing heavily. They seemed to be enjoying the experience but just looking at them made me feel colder. We turned around and hurried back as we realised we should get a move on in case the National Park decided to close the mountain road we travelled on to get there. Back in the car and the road was beginning to be layered in snow. Safe and sound back at the cabin, we had another tea before going to the restaurant in the park for dinner and talking over our eventful day.

    Song of the Day:
    Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
    Read more