Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Greece

    June 11, 2016 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    We have been on the ship since 3pm yesterday and have stopped at a port somewhere in Greece. It's 8.30am and we will arrive at our destination at around 3pm this afternoon. Olympic is small and the main street is about all there is. It is a lovely street with lots of shade. Greece is very poor and lots of rubbish laying around in some areas due to a strike by three rubbish collected. We are off Athens this morning. It is a beautiful day.
    Well we have arrived in Athens and I am shocked to find it in a really poor state with buildings in shabby conditions dirty streets. Shops in vast numbers appear to have been closed for some time. It has some similarities to Bangkok. We have a city tour tomorrow so we will see what that brings.
    Sounds good...keeping you busy then.
    We went out for dinner last night at this restaurant which is on top of a hill overlooking Athens the view was spectacular it is a big city. The food was beautiful and we had Greek dancers entertaining us as well as a 3 piece band. We all ended up on the dance floor doing the dances. They took about 8 people out of our group out and dressed them up in traditional costumes then brought them back in to dance it was a blast. Gail was one of them she looked great. It was probably one of the best nights we have had. Got some videos of it. Saw some of the cleaner areas of Athens and maybe I may have judged Athens too quickly.
    Went on the Greek island cruise today. The weather was cloudy so we were robbed the beauty of the water colours that the area is renowned for. However it was still impressive. The trip back to Athens on the ferry was a bit rough with a rather large swell coming in.
    Back in Patros ready to catch the overnight ferry to San Marino.
    Read more