Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Coach tour to the North West of La Palma

    November 27, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    On another sunny and warm day, I took a coach tour to the NW of the island due to the postponement of a hike.
    The first stop was near La Laguna looking at Tajagaite and its lava flow towards the coast. Tajagaite had erupted from nowhere on the side of a hill.
    The second stop was at the Mirador del Time, looking towards the Caldera de Taburiente, where I had a large mixed fruit juice.
    The next stop was at a farmers' market at Puntagorda where I bought some almond pastries for lunch at the Roque de Mulchados.
    The Roque is the highest point in La Palma at 2,400m. A raven joined me for lunch. On the hillsides below the Roque are the international astronomical observatories with lots of mirrors and telescopes to observe the very clear sky usually above the clouds.
    We stopped at another mirador on the road around the rim of the Caldera before driving to the Sanctuario de la Virgende las Nieves which I'd visited a few days before.
    The final stop was at a mirador overlooking Santa Cruz with a caldera below in which houses had been built safely because the caldera was extinct, Santa Cruz and the north of the island being much older than the still-active south.
    I had dinner at the Pizza Piccolo watching Germany v Spain in the World Cup.
    Read more