Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Tajagaite

    December 1, 2022 in Spain

    The final hike of the trip organised by La Palma Treks & Tours was to see Tajagaite, the volcano which had erupted for three months from September to December 2021. A trail had been opened by the National Park authorities across the lava ash field at the rear of the volcano and the mixed group of nationalities had to stay on the trail rather than wandering off. The ash was 40cm deep on average although one metre in places.
    The volcano had erupted from the side of a hill with craters at the front and back. It was 400m high with steam, not sulpher fumes, still emerging.
    We drove to La Laguna to see the effect of the eruption. We stopped at a bar which was next door to an apartment where the lava, many metres thick, had become embedded in what used to be a bank on the ground floor. A road was being created across the lava field to provide access to the south. The lava flow had taken 10 days to reach the coast which was still closed to tourists, dangerous fumes still emerging. Whole communities had been submerged under the lava field. Orchards and vines had been destroyed but, although bananas had been blackened, the inside was OK.
    It was amazing to see the effect of natural forces so soon after the event.
    We stopped at the harbour of Puerto Tazacorte for our picnic lunch before returning to Santa Cruz.
    The travel agent had misunderstood the dates of my stay and failed to book the final night at the Hotel Holiday Time so I had to move to the Galeon Hotel with the large bedroom also having a kitchen.
    I had a final al fresco dinner at Placeta before watching Japan defeat Spain in the World Cup.
    Read more