Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Day 3: Roncesvalles

    September 12, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 77 °F

    Gale force winds across the high mountains were today’s Camino challenge as we walked the 18 kilometers from Orisson to Roncesvalles. The wind was so intense, we needed to frequently brace ourselves with our hiking poles to stay upright.

    The roaring wind made it hard to have a conversation but kept us cool, so that was a plus! And it was a treat whenever a land feature or a grove of trees provided a welcome wind break. So far, it seems the Camino really has a way of magnifying highs and lows.

    Heedless of the wind, herds of horses, grazing cows, along with flocks of sheep and the occasional sheepdog graced the slopes around us. Many, many of them were wearing bells, and the sound was delightful.

    On a sadder note, at one point, we thought we were seeing a dead horse lying on the ground, with another standing right next to it. After a bit of observation, and seeing a similar pair close by, we surmised that the standing horses were mares guarding their sleeping offspring. That thought made us feel much better!

    Continuing on, we noticed more trees and wildflowers after we crossed into Spain, with some of the forests appearing almost enchanted.
    Read more