Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Day 4: Viscarret

    September 13, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 66 °F

    We set out from Roncesvalles in a light rain this morning, opting to walk a couple of kilometers before stopping for breakfast in Burguete.

    We pulled into the first open cafe we saw, ordering coffees, a slice of tortilla española, and a tortilla with tuna bocadillo (sandwich). Once was enough on the latter, for Allan.

    From Burguete we walked about another 10 kilometers to Viscarret, where we’d booked an apartment for the night. Swinging an early checkin with the cashier at a small market was a little rough, but we were thrilled with the accommodations once we got inside. I was so very ready to set down my backpack!

    Maybe it was the trekking up and down hills in the rain, or my expecting today to be an “easy” 12 kilometer walk, or simply that my body isn’t accustomed to three long walks in a row, but I was feeling some aches and pains.

    After the requisite hot showers, we loaded our dirty clothes into the washing machine in the kitchen, and set out for a bite at El Bar de Juan, the village’s sole eatery.

    As we arrived, the German family we’d roomed with at Orisson was just finishing their lunch. Following their recommendation, we enjoyed cups of vegetable soup and ham and cheese tortillas.

    After I finish this post, I’ll go downstairs to the little market to get something for dinner. Tomorrow we’ll walk 15 kilometers to Larrasaoña—and the forecast is for dry weather!
    Read more