Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Day 33: Melide

    October 12, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    The owner of last night’s lodging made a point of taking a photo of us as we left the Rectoral de Lestedo: it’s what he always does, he said, tickled by the morning’s dark skies.

    “This will show that you walk in the dark!” he exclaimed.

    Don Humberto, Miguel, and Julia were all so very welcoming and hospitable at the Rectoral, making it one of our nicest stops along the Way.

    We stopped for a breakfast of coffee and fried eggs in Palais da Rei, 5 kilometers away, and for a “second breakfast” of coffee and tarts at the Albergue Abrigadoiro, another 3 kilometers down the Camino. Don Humberto had recommended that we stop there, and we could see why. The baked goods were delicious and the owners above and beyond with their service.

    We stopped for the third time another 5 k down the Way, for fruit smoothies at the Happiness Cafe, a small food truck operated by a Seattle transplant.

    With only 6.6 kilometers to go to get to today’s lodging, I swapped my trail shoes for Teva sandals, trying to appease some new blisters that popped up yesterday.

    Allan, meanwhile, did great on his first post-recovery hike. Only three more hikes to get to Santiago!

    Tomorrow, we’ll walk 14 kilometers to Arzua, the shortest distance of the three.
    Read more