Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Bariloche

    February 26 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    This morning we were picked up by our guide Joaquin and our driver Nicholas . We went on a circular drive through wooded glades and stopping at different vantage points . We did a short nature walk and it was interesting to understand how the animals and fauna here differs from parts of Patagonia further south where we have been . A red fox came out into the road and walked by our vehicle. The last part of the morning we went up in a chair lift and saw completely panoramic views of the whole area - just stunning . Saw the mountain we saw yesterday from a different angle .Saw the Llau Llau hotel built in the 1940s - it’s 5* and the first hotel ever in this area .
    We also learnt how Argentina produce their own gas and oil . Average house in winter here ( it’s a ski resort in winter) costs about £2/ month to heat and petrol here 60p / litre . The land all around here is national park with hiking trails but big swathes of it are forbidden to be accessed to protect nature .
    We got dropped off in the town of Bariloche and had a little mooch around the main square and streets and the lake front and then got a taxi back to the hotel which is about 5 miles out . Saw a lovely group of ibis .
    Spent afternoon around the hotel pool ( heated very nicely) watching the windsurfers on the lake - did contemplate a lake swim but very cold!
    Had a lovely cocktail looking at the view . Then went off to a nice restaurant for a steak but it was closed ☹️. So ended up in a Patagonian brewery and a certain person was not happy with the quality of the burgers
    Read more