Satellite
  • Day 30

    Rainbow Beach, Inskip Point & Fraser Isl

    November 10, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    We set off to find Wolf Rock Dive, a company running dives to Wolf Rock “WOLF ROCK - Wolf Rock is one of the most exciting dives in Australia and will perhaps be one of the most exciting dives you ever do. For this reason, all daily dive charters are to Wolf Rock.
    Consistently rating as a must do dive for travelers up the East Coast of Australia it will not disappoint.

    If you like to see big animals this is the dive for you. Not only is it home to the critically endangered grey nurse sharks but you will also see a myriad of other marine animals such as Giant Queensland Groper – (these guys grow as big as the sharks), eagle rays, bull rays, manta rays, leopard sharks, 3 different species of turtle – loggerhead, green and hawksbill.”

    The only problem was that the office was shut when we arrived and would not open until 3pm when they cam back from a dive. What to do?

    Travelling north from Rainbow Beach there is a sand bar called Inskip Point. It is well known as a point from which people catch the barge to Fraser Island. There are two routes to get to the barge, along the road or along the beach, many go along the beach. We went along the road.

    Description: Fraser Island, off Australia’s eastern Queensland coast, is the world's largest sand island, stretching over 120km. It is a.so well known for backpackers and 4x4 enthusiasts plus backpacking 4x4 enthusiasts. We could see a steady stream of 4x4 .eaving the barge while anther set returned to the barge. Where we parked, at the end of Inskip Piont, cars were stopping to either inflate their tyres or deflate them depending upon which way they were going. Back on Rainbow Beach, opposite the dive centre we found a 4x4 automated system for cleaning the bottom of the vehicles.

    We spent about 4 hours at Inskip Point, most of it walking along the beach. The sand was so fine, the type I expect is inside egg timers. There was no rubbish and almost no shells. We probably walked two miles each way and came across probably less than 50 people.

    When we returned to the dive centre the two girls who we had spoken two on Friday night were there having been on the dive. They had enjoyed the dive and seen manga rays, grey nurse sharks, turtles, the huge Queensland Grouper plus, plus, plus. We discussed going on a dive and what would be required to allow us a 30m dive as we are only qualified to 18m. We left uncertain whether this is the dive we want to do. Over 20m seems to get a bit dingy and dark, we want crystal clear water and sunshine when watching the manta rays - is that too much to ask? We agreed to see what we came across further north and come back if we couldn’t find anything better.

    We booked into one of the two Rainbow Beach camp sites with a sea view. 3 Sulphur Crested Cockatoos watched us hook up. A quick walk to find that Rainbow Beach on Sunday was only a little more exciting than Tin Can on a Saturday. The surf club offered a beer with sea view. Looked around the beach shops, back to Bertha for dinner.
    Read more