Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Bundaberg

    November 27, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    “Bundaberg is an Australian city on Queensland's coast. It's known for Bundaberg Rum, and the Bundaberg Distillery offers museum tours and tastings. Bundaberg Botanic Gardens is home to the Hinkler Hall of Aviation, dedicated to solo long-distance pilot Bert Hinkler. Nearby on the coast is Mon Repos Regional Park, home to sea turtles, and offshore is Lady Elliot Island, part of the Great Barrier Reef.” It is affectionately known as Bundy as in Bun & Andy .... see, BUN from Bunny + NDY from Andy 😂

    However, we decided to visit Bundaberg Ginger Beer factory and a different rum distillery.

    Apparently the name Bundaberg is trademarked, alcohol for the rum company and non-alcoholic for the ginger beer factory. No one else can use the name, except, I guess, the town.

    Ginger is grown around the area and can be seen when driving around .... we were wondering what the crop was in amongst the sugar cane files.

    Bundaberg Ginger Beer is a family owned business started in Bundaberg in 1960 when Neville and Gladys Fleming together with their son Cliff & daughter-in-law Lee Fleming purchased Electra Breweries (Bundaberg) Pty Ltd, a bottling and fermenting business. During the 1970’s & 80’s most of the company’s focus revolved around the local market, manufacturing and selling franchised drinks in Bundaberg and Maryborough but production of their Ginger Beer expanded in the 1980’s when they secured distribution in Australian and New Zealand supermarkets. In 1995 they changed the company name to ‘Bundaberg Brewed Drinks’ developing a distinctive, local brand. They also introduced the ‘Brewed to Be Better’ promise, highlighting the key point of difference, brewing. They currently brew 15 different drinks and have two specials, one for Christmas and another to celebrate the CEOs longevity in the business.

    The tour was self-guided, but very interesting. At the end you get to sample all of their drinks and take a self-selected six pack away with you. It was an interesting way to spend an hour.

    Kalki Moon is a rum distillery that was started by a guy who had worked as the distiller for Bundaberg Rum. He then became an advisor to the rm industry and then decided to set up his own business with his wife. It is based in an unflattering industrial unit and employs about 7 local people. Kalki is the name of their house - the name Bundaberg had already been taken! We were shown around by Mrs Kalki Moon. Her passion was unmistakable. They have been brewing rum for 2.5 years and have sold .... none. In Australia, rum has to stand in the barrel for two years before it can be sold. Distilling rum was not a full time job so, while the rum was maturing, what to do with the still? Gin. They started their own brand of gin creating cash flow etc. They set out with the aim of producing Australian gin to compete in price with the imported gin. Their sales pitch is “the only Australian gin under $50 a bottle. Last year they won an international award in London for this gin. They also produce two other guns, plus a liquor. Obviously I couldn’t take any photos having sampled so much of their produce!

    We then went for a walk around the Bundaberg Botanical Gardens. These were slightly disappointing as the lakes were almost empty and the plants suffering with the drought. The Japanese and Chinese Gardens probably looked great with a lot of water.
    After that we set off to Hervey Bay to be near their airport for an early flight to Lady Elliot Island on Thursday.
    Read more