Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 156

    Morning hike & Sunset at Lake Matheson

    June 14, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 7 °C

    This morning we had a bit of a lie in and then went for a walk in to Franz Josef Town. We then walked over a bridge and had a beautiful view of the river and mountains. We walked to the franz josef glacier walk hoping the weather conditions had improved so we could walk further. Unfortunately it was only the 30 minute hike the same one we did the day before. However we did get a better view of Peters pool the sky was clear so we could see the glacier and mirror reflection of the mountains.

    We then had lunch at the hostel before driving on to fox glacier village. We drove to lake Matheson in the afternoon to do the circular walk. We had a coffee at the cafe there first. The lake was stunning. The most beautiful lake I've seen so far. We even got to see the sunset in the evening. I loved the mirror reflection on the lake of the mountains.

    In the evening we checked in to the next hostel in fox glacier called Ivory towers. We each had a single bed in a room. It was a lovely hostel with a wooden decking outside. We made vegetable mango curry in the evening with rice. We had an early night after a busy day.
    Read more