Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 164

    Milford Sound

    June 22, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 1 °C

    This morning we got up bright and early ready to drive to Milford sound to do a boat cruise. We had breakfast and then set off just after 8.30am. It was a cold frosty morning and the roads were icy so we took it slow. There was frost and mist surrounding the snowy mountains it was very picturesque. Completely different landscape to what we've seen before. We went through the Cleddau Valley and then went through the Homer Tunnel 1.2km long through solid rock. The tunnel passed through the Darran mountain range.

    When we were on the highway to Milford Sound we could see the damage from the floods that happened in February. Half the road was damaged so there was traffic lights to get through one lane and you could see the ruins in the river.

    We arrived in Milford Sound just after 11am. Our cruise was not until 1pm so we got a latte in the visitor centre and I had a cinnamon swirl. We walked to check in to the terminal just before 1. We then boarded the southern discovery cruise. We went up on top deck outside. It was very cold but we were lucky it was a clear sunny day, unusual for Milford Sound as it normally rains. Milford Sound is one of the wettest places on earth experiencing rain 200 days of the year.

    Milford sound was out of this world with its towering fiord's cliffs and mountains and so many waterfalls that cascade downwards from as high as 1000 metres. It was very impressive. The first waterfall was beautiful falling slowly. We got right up close with the front of the boat. We could see a rainbow through it.

    We went out right to the Tasman sea. We spotted some seals on the rocks coming back in to Milford Sound. We then went to Stirling Falls. We were at the front of the boat so had a fun experience going underneath the waterfall. The waterfall filled up cups at at the front of the boat We could then drink it. It was very refreshing. This waterfall is 151m high – three times the height of Niagara Falls but the mountain behind displaces the height of it. We also went to an underwater observatory centre. We walked down some steps to an underwater observatory room 10 metres below sea level. We saw different species of black coral and colourful fish.

    We went for a short walk after the cruise to bowen waterfall. Also very impressive. The sun was beginning to set and Milford sound looked beautiful. I was sad to leave this place. We then drove back to Te Anau. We had sausages and mash for tea. We are all exhausted after a busy day today. We are doing a walk on the Kepler track tomorrow morning by Te Anau lake.
    Read more