Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 167

    Surat Bay, Roaring bay & Nugget point

    June 25, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    This morning we checked out of fhe hostel and walked down to Surat Bay just at the end of the drive at the hostel. It was a cold, windy and raining today. We spotted a large sea lion on the beach after walking a while. I was surprised how big it was. He was sleeping. We walked a bit further and spotted another one. This one was more awake. I got some pictures of it yawning. It was amazing to see them for the first time.

    Next we drove to Nugget point. We walked to the lighthouse and saw the Nugget rocks. The sea was a beautiful turquoise colour. It was very windy here. We then drove down to Kaka point a seaside town where we met our friend Jeanine who was travelling around the south island the opposite direction to us. We had a coffee and carrot cake and enjoyed a catch up.

    After that we drove to Roaring bay in the hope to see the rare yellow eyed penguins. There was a viewing hut where you look out for them. You can't go on to the beach because they get distressed if you get too close. We waited patiently for about 40 minutes then suddenly we saw one the other side of the beach when we walked out the viewing hut. It was a yellow eyed penguin walking up the beach. A family told us there was another one down on the beach near the hut. It was very cute it fell over a couple of times on the sand. We were lucky to see some. The yellow eyed penguins are one of the rarest penguins in the world and only found in New Zealand.

    Next we drove to Dunedin. We cheeked in to our hostel the Manor backpackers. We are in a 8 bed dorm here. We went to the duke of Wellington pub in the evening. We enjoyed a pint of tribute which I was surprised they had. We had this beer in Cornwall before.
    Read more