Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 176

    Seal Colony & Wings Over Whales Kaikoura

    July 4, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Started the day with a costal drive to the Seal Colony. As we arrived in the car park we could see a seal on the broadwalk right next to the car park. He was sleeping there. We walked over some rocks and saw a family of seals. We saw some little seal pups they were very cute. Managed to get some good pictures on my Nikon camera. The waves were crashing up over the rocks and you could look out to sea and see the snowy mountains.

    After this we went to Kaikoura look out point. We could see more of the sea and mountain's. It was slightly overcast but the clouds were high.

    In the afternoon Ashleigh and I did a whale watching flight with the company Wings Over Whales. We first checked in and we had a safety talk and the pilot told us about the Whales in the waters of Kaikoura. The most common whale that we may see is the Sperm Whale.  He told us they are about 18 metres in length. They can dive down 2,000 metres deep. They usually go down for about 45 minutes and then come up for some air. They eat about 1 ton of squid and fish per day! The sperm whale is the third largest whale in the world.

    He told us sometimes you might be unlucky and not see any Whales. I didn't get my hopes up just incase. We got on a very small plane. We had headphones to put on and both got a window seat. We were both very excited. We had a beautiful view over the sea and mountains. After about 10 minutes we spotted a large sperm whale. I couldn't believe how big he was. It was amazing to see. The pilot swooped down so we could get a better view. We saw 2 more sperm whales after that coming up to get some air. It truly was an unforgettable experience!

    Late afternoon we drove to Blenheim. We arrived at the backpackers/holiday park. They wanted us to pay $10 per night for bedding and $1 per 5 minutes for a shower we couldn't believe it! And this was on top of the price we already paid for the room. It didn't say any of this when we booked it. We complained, left and got a refund.

    We managed to find a backpackers in town called Biddy Kates backpackers. Unfortunately there wasn't any availability for the 4 of us in one room only 3 in one room. So Ashleigh is staying in another room.
    Read more