Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 185

    Bridal Viel Falls & Ngarunui Beach

    July 13, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    First day in Raglan and unfortunately it was raining. We thought if would be a perfect day to visit Bridal Viel Falls. We drove about 20 minutes to the start of the waterfall trail. It was a short walk. The first viewing platform was from the top. I couldn't believe how big the waterfall was. It really was impressive. We then walked down to the middle viewing platform (see first picture) and then down to the bottom viewing platform. The falls drop 55m from top to bottom. The water is cloudy due to run-off from farmland upstream of the waterfall. The pool at the bottom is 5 metres deep.

    After the walk Ashleigh and I had lunch in the hostel and then walked in to Raglan Town. We went to a small museum. There was a surfing exhibition. They had a collection of old surfboards. The museum also showed the history of Raglan.

    After this we drove to Ngaeunui beach. We saw quite a few surfers catching the waves. We walked along the black sand while the sun was setting. It was still a little grey but you could just about see the sun. We are hoping the weather improves tomorrow so we can go surfing.
    Read more