Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 201

    Creek Railway & Drive to Thames

    July 29, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    This morning we had a wonder around Corromandel Town. They had some lovely gift shops. We went for a coffee and then drove to Driving Creek Railway. The railway was built by one man himself. The train went up a narrow gauge mountain passing through forests up to a viewing platform. On the viewing platform we could see Corromandel Harbour and Town and even Waiheke Island! We both really enjoyed the train ride. Nothing like I've done before. Its was just over an hour return ride and cost $35.

    Next we went to Waiau Falls. We went down a bumpy gravel road to get there. We had to stop along the way as a pig was in the middle of the road! Typical New Zealand. There was a farm there with chickens and pigs and piglets walking across the road. The path to the waterfall was only a few minutes. It was a hidden little gem off the side of the road. It never gets boring visiting a waterfall in New Zealand. They are all so different. We then drove on to Thames where we are staying for the night. I found another freedom camping Carpark online. Its walking distance to the town and even has a filtered water station a few minute walk away.
    Read more