Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 206

    Drive to Tauranga

    August 3, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    This morning we did some washing and then checked out the campsite by 12. We drove to Tauranga. When we got there we went to Tuaranga Misson cemetery. The cemetery contains a number of memorials, graves and plaques commemorating men who died on active service in the Tauranga district during the New Zealand Wars. This memorial marks the burial site of 14 men of Ngāi Te Rangi, Ngāti Ranginui, Te Whakatōhea, Tainui and Te Arawa who died of wounds received while defending their position at Te Ranga on 21 June 1864.

    We then had a look around Robbins Park.They had a giant cactus tree and flowers blooming. The garden overlooked Tuaranga harbour. We also went to the Monmouth Redoubt. Women and children took shelter here during the war.

    In the evening we had a walk around Tauranga Town and went out for a burger at the Irish bar. I had bbq beef with cheese and onion rings. It was so good. We stayed at a near by car park to freedom camp near a sports club. We have to leave by 7am so it's going to be an early start. However it should be nice weather tomorrow so hoping for a beautiful sunrise.
    Read more