Satellite
  • Day 3

    GDR Museum and Christmas Market

    December 19, 2019 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    On our way to another Christmas market we visited a memorial to commemorate the futility and sorrow of war as well as the GDR museum to get a glimpse of what life was like living in the GDR (German Democratic Republic). The irony behind the name is breathtaking as the GDR had no democratic processes in place in any part of their political or societal decision making.

    One of the amazing things for me is the Christmas spirit and the amount of gluhwein being drunk at these markets. There is also an amazing array of different traditional German food which adds to the atmosphere from sweet bakery treats to smoked salmon and large BBQ’s cooking bratwurst sausages, steaks and burgers.
    Some of the food combinations are amazing for example large bowls of spinach with a bratwurst sausage plonked on top and potatoes filled with all sorts of toppings as well as gluhwein that has different spirits added to it like Cointreau and Vodka. Perhaps the highlight for me in the food stakes was a crepe that was cooked in front of me and topped with cinnamon sugar and the folded into four...so good to eat. The potato fritters were also especially good. The German diet is very largely biased toward carbohydrates and a meat protein of some description.
    Read more