Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Budapest and Viking Jarl

    August 28, 2017 in Slovakia ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    We were above the Jarl by 1pm and enjoyed a great lunch on the terrace. It was very hot! And then we did a short walking tour of downtown Budapest. The ship is parked by the Elizabeth Bridge on the Pest side of the river. There was a large triathalon in Budapest this morning and many of the road were closed so we could not get from our hotel on the Budapest side, over to the ship on the Pest side, until the race was over about noon. We had our own 'welcome aboard party in our room and then dinner at 7pm. I had triple battered chicken with maple syrup sauce! We set sail during dinner and by 9m it was dark and we were sailing through Budapest. Beautiful with all the lights on! A few drops of rain - not much. We were in bed early as it is an early morning Monday. The bus/walking tour of Budapest leaves at 8am. Our guide Anika is lovely and very knowledgable. We did the Pest side first, The 'Champs Eleyse' of Budapest, up to Heros Square and the Baths, back across the Chain Bridge to the Budapest side. There is the Furnicular up the hill to the Castle district. No castles there, but we got out to see St. Mathias Church, which was just refurbished 2 years ago. Gorgeous! We then took the bus north to ??? Where we met up with our bus - just in time for lunch! And Den and I had had cappucino and pastries at the stop. Lunch of fresh spaghetti bolognese and of course wine, and crime caramel.
    We are now cruising north on the Danube. It is 24 hrs to Vienna so we will be there in the morning. Some music and talks this afternoon. And time to relax. Den is doing circuits on the deck as I type this.
    Read more