Спутник
Показать на карте
  • День 16

    Gorgeous Gorges

    2 мая 2023 г., Австралия ⋅ 🌙 14 °C

    We are very happy with our campsite called Eagle 2 at Willow Springs. Surrounded on 3 sides by trees with the 4th side being open to the views of the surrounding ridges, it is a very nice quiet site that provides a good amount of privacy while still being close to the amenities areas. We are fully self-sufficient, but at times it is nice to have facilities available.
    After breakfast we headed off relatively early. It seemed we were the only people up and about so early but it was a beautiful morning. Today was the Flinders Ranges gorges day and we planned to drive through several of them. Most of todays driving was on gravel roads with some driving through sections of standing water left over from the floods earlier this year. We passed through the Bunyeroo Gorge, the Brachina Gorge, and the Parachilna Gorge. These were areas of very nice scenery and varying vegetation but despite looking around a lot, to Carolina’s disappointment there was not much wildlife. Lots of birds but not much else. The only saving grace was a group of 6 emus which ran away at a very fast rate when they heard us coming.
    Along the way we dropped into the town of Parachilna which has a famous pub called the Prairie Hotel that serves a “feral feast banquet” with menu items such as emu liver parfait, goat tomahawk, emu & bacon rissole, camel sausage, and kangaroo schnitzel. This lunch is so popular that you need to book several days ahead and today people were waiting outside 30 mins before the hotel even opened!! We had not booked so we missed out. Instead we continued our drive and stopped instead at the town of Blinman where the bakery specialises in “miners pasties” and kangaroo pies!!
    Travelling with Chanel gives us a lot of pleasure, but it has its disadvantages. The main one is dogs are not allowed in many National Parks, and the Flinders Ranges Park is one of those. So while we are allowed to transit these parks with a dog in the car, we are not allowed to stop , and certainly not allowed to let the dog leave the car. So today we could not take her into Wilpena Pound.
    We looked around the caravan park at Rawnsley Park Station and it has a number of nice features, but overall we preferred where we were staying at Willow Springs.
    In the evening our air fryer was put to use making sweet chilli chicken and potato chips, with a salad on the side, and nice bottle of wine. A delicious meal in front of the warm campfire looking out at the clear sky and stars. A very nice way to spend an evening.
    Читать далее