Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    The Cunnamulla Surprise

    May 18, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    It’s was a chilly 3 degrees outside this morning as we woke. At least we were comfy with the van heater and snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug. We had seen a very nice cafe yesterday not far from the caravan park called COOEE so we decided to forego our usual cappu in the van and enjoy one at the cafe. At the cafe we met a couple of French guys who we had seen and chatted to in the Flinders Ranges a few weeks ago - it is a small world!
    The drive to Cunnamulla is only about 270km and we did this is a single 3-hour drive. The scenery was still changing and greener than we had expected for the outback due to the rains last year, and the typical red-orange colour of the soil was very apparent everywhere. Along the way we crossed the Queensland border and let out a cheer to be back in our home state again. Caravans were everywhere too and by the time we arrived in Cunnamulla we had a convoy of about 6 vans behind us.
    Cunnamulla had been chosen because it was a strategic distance to split up the long journey back to Noosa. If we didn’t stop here we had a further 380km to go before our next stop, and that was not practical. Cunnamulla is a reasonable size outback town which we did not think had too much going for it.
    But then we pulled into the Warrego Riverside Holiday Park for the night - and what a surprise! It was a truly lovely caravan park with lots of manicured trees including fruit trees where you were allowed to pick off the fruit, green grass, secluded sites, and with the Warengo River passing through it. What a relaxing campground! Who would have thought we would find such a gem in the outback wilds of Cunnamulla??
    So after a quick drive around the quaint little town we settled down to a relaxing afternoon on a very nice unpowered site with great bush surroundings and 30 seconds walk from the river.
    Read more