Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    A Change of Plans

    May 19, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 15 °C

    We are heading east for the remainder of our trip on our way back home to Noosa. Today was never going to be an exciting day as the 300km involved only one intermediate town between Cunnamulla and our destination of St George. That mid-point town of Bollon became our one and only coffee stop.
    Once we got to St George we spent a couple of hours looking around the town including a very nice stopover at the Riversands Winery where we enjoyed a very acceptable sparkling rosé in the garden and sunshine.
    Our plans were to stay at a free camp a few km out of St George on the banks of the Balonne River. So in due course we set out for this campsite. We knew it was out of town, but we did not realise how far out of town. After 15km of driving, the gravel road started and we saw that the campsite was still about another 7km further on.
    That was when Carolina lost patience. She did not want to be so far out of town and was concerned we might be the only caravan at this free camp. So without ever getting to the campsite to check it out we turned around and headed back to St George for a change of plans. Carolina decided the River Gum Tourist Park looked to be the best option so that is where we ended up for the night. It was also close to the river and we went for a long walk along it during the late afternoon including seeing the Australian Hotel where our friend Laurie dines when he is in St George.
    Along the river walk was a high red pole which held the marker heights for the river for the past 100 years, although the record recent flood levels were not there perhaps because they were higher than the pole!
    The Tourist Park was run by a friendly owner called Ivan who made us feel welcome. Despite the Park being quite full he gave us a nice large spot that was away from the madding crowd.
    It was a nice change of plans that kept everybody happy.
    Read more