Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    George Clooney country

    August 17, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 30 °C

    Another beautiful day in paradise. The hot temperatures and humidity had dropped off after last nights rain resulting in perfect weather. Our friends have a house in Como where they normally live which is about 1:15 hours from their holiday house in Gravedona. Today they had things to do in Como so we tagged along and while they did their business we looked around the city and lakeside areas of Como. This is the main city in the Lake Como area with a population of about half a million. It is located at the southern end of the lefthand or western branch of Lake Como and is a busy boating and tourist city.
    George Clooney has a house about 15km north of Como. Villa Oleandra is situated in one of the most beautiful areas of Lake Como and is large villa that is not visible from the road but can be seen clearly from the water and the ferries passing by.
    Carolina has been waiting for George to invite us for coffee or drinks with him at his villa, but from our experiences in Italy so far we realise that either his invitation to us or the information he should have received about our visit here, has most likely been mislaid or misdirected. We know he will be sorry to have missed catching up with us this time but hopefully he will come to see us in Noosa sometime instead. So today we drove past his villa and did not drop in to see him as we did not want to surprise him too much.
    Como was again very busy with summer tourists. Sara kindly dropped us off in the city centre and we planned to catch the hydrofoil ferry back to Gravedona at 4:10pm in the afternoon. While Carolina went shopping, Peter stood in a queue at the ferry ticket office for an hour, only to find out that’s this ferry had been cancelled today (this is Italy). So Sara picked us up again when she was leaving to return to Gravedona. In the meantime had a nice time looking around Como for about 3 hours, but it was nice to get way from the crowds and head back to the quieter northern areas of Lake Como.
    Read more