Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    A Change to Mountain Trails

    August 19, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    A change of scenery today. We have seen a lot of Lake Como and the small towns that populate along the lakeside areas. So today we decided to do something different and head into parts of the local mountains. The mountains are very spectacular with tall sharp peaks indicating they were formed relatively recently. We don’t see these types of peaks in Australia as everything is so much older and worn down. From a distance we can see the mountains that reach over 3000m in height which are located on the border with Switzerland and the ski resort of St Moritz is only about 60km away.
    Today Kris drive us up into the local mountains up to the town of Livo and from there we did a 7km hike along a mountain trail up to a small set of rock pools and a small cafe bar. This was a very nice walk over rolling scenery and even with several goats peacefully resting along side the trail. One thing we have noticed is that despite being summer, everything is very green and lush. Kris said this is very unusual for this time of year and is caused by the large amount of unseasonal rain they had here earlier this year.
    Today was humid and around 29 degrees which was a bit unpleasant at times, but a lot of the walk was shady. We were not able to go down the pools area because the descent was quite difficult and slippery which was a shame because the water is reputedly to be nice and cold. We did however have some beverages from the bar to rehydrate and admire the scenery before heading back. The walk was very pleasant and made for a good change to what we have been seeing and doing over the last few days.
    This evening we again headed back into the mountains but this time to a well known restaurant called St Anna in the hills that serves very good food. A nice family run restaurant that serves lovely homemade Italian food. Sara had made the booking more than a week ago as it is always fully booked. I’m n the way home we stopped to look at the lights of Gravedona and Lake Como.
    Read more