Satellite
  • Day 18

    Port Hedland

    April 30, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    Arrived at Split Rock camp site, just off the Gt Northern Highway late Sunday afternoon. Nothing there but evidence of past campers. It's not a bad spot, hidden from the road, private and flat. Good for the night. I climbed the rock and took a photo of the truck way down below.
    We were having problems with the freezer not freezing stuff properly so, after asking at the visitor info centre we went to see Stay Kool Refrigeration guys in Port Hedland. Brilliant people and they know their trade well. Freezer working well now.
    We enjoyed looking around Port Hedland. The fish burger and coffee from the Harbour Cafe was excellent. It was fascinating to see the huge ships in the harbour being loaded with ore, and the kilometres long trains coming and going 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The place doesn't sleep. On the way out of town we got held up at a train crossing and the train took just over 5 minutes to pass.
    We stayed in the grounds of the Turf Club for two nights. It serves as an overflow area to the caravan parks. We stocked up with food, fuel and water and left town on Wednesday heading for the De Grey River rest area, which was only about 65ks north of Hedland.
    Read more