Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Aboriginal tour

    October 1, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    Went to Queen Victoria market this morning. Got an iced coffee and warm hoodie. It was so much bigger than I was expecting, all separated up into sections. I spoke with a gin distiller, who gave me a free taste. Love a couple shots of gin at 10am!! He was really cool though, and the gin uses on Australian botanicals, the taste was so different to British gins.

    Then we hopped on the tram to their version of a war memorial, the 'Shrine of Remembrance'. Created for WW1 originally, it now encompasses all fallen soldiers of all wars.

    Next was the botanical gardens. We had an amazing private tour from an aboriginal guide. Jakobi really knew what he was talking about and had been brought up in their traditional way. It was amazing to hear about all the native plants they have and how they are medicinal or poisonous in one case. I now know not to go near any trees with giant heart shaped leaves, odds on its poisonous and I have a 50/50 chance of survival!

    The sun came out during our tour, and the gardens looked incredible. I will definitely be going back next weekend after the tour to see the rest of the gardens and a picnic.
    Read more