Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 200

    Day 200

    April 12, 2023 in Indonesia ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    Well, well, well, we have made it to day 200. Today was a day of surprises.

    Moni and I had out usual breakfast on the balcony before packing up and checking out. The lovely owner let us leave our bags in one of the rooms so we could go for a bit of a wander around before heading off.

    Out first stop was the Palace. I am once again astonished by the amount of detail put into statues, carvings and structures. The Palace was themed red and gold, creating a fiery atmosphere in the morning sun.

    We then headed to the same place we had had dinner the evening before and grabbed some smoothies to drink as we headed down to the monkey sanctuary. The sanctuary was a small section of forest, full of monkeys and a couple different temples. The monkeys are partially free roaming. They can go where they like but they dont leave the sanctuary because they get food there. You could pay extra to get a selfie with the monkey on your lap. We did not do, this however one did take an interest in Moni. It decided I was not worthy and simply walked over me.

    After the sanctuary we wandered back to our accommodation became the owners had organised our taxi down to Legian, out new accomodation.

    The journey took around 1.5hrs thanks to traffic but our driver was very nice and was a surprisingly carefully driver. We commented on the quantity of dumb tourists on the roads after one sticky situation. He laughed and agreed but said that he loves tourists because they bring money. He helps tourists and they help him. I liked his positive view on it, but I still think tourists on bikes wihtout helments are dumb.

    Our new accomodation in Legian is quite a set up. The room is spacious, air conditioned and provides towels and toiletries. There is also a nice covered balcony and a pool. Everything is green plants or white and pristine.

    We decided to go for a walk around the local area and this is where our day got a little interesting.

    While walking along we spotted a woman who seemed to be staggering and another trying to help. At first we thought it was someone who had overindulged a little too much on a wednesday but then realised there was more going on. A Balinese store seller was also trying to help and the look on his face when he saw us was pure fear. He was like a deer in headlights and we knew something was wrong. We quickly crossed the road and realised the woman was having a seizure.

    Her friend was in near hysterics and kept asking if she was going to die. This was of no help as she clearly had no clue what was happening. Myself and another local managed to get her safely to the floor, while Moni tried to calm the other woman. The friend finally called the daughter to help and slowly the woman seizing came around.

    It took quite some time for her to return to us but by the time the daughter had arrived and they had decided on a taxi, she was almost back to normal. We had a massive group of locals around us who were all trying to help but were not succeeding. Thankfully they all listened when I told them to back up and another two Aussies who came to help backed me up. One of them was a man and as expected, his orders were followed but that is fine.

    It made for a rather unexpected half hour and I was rather shaken afterwards. I know how to handle a seizure because of some of my friends from school who had them. But to witness it is something else, especially on the side of the road in Bali, less than an hour after arriving.

    We hastily returned to our accommodation as it was getting late and I was a little shaken. We relaxed by our pool once back before heading to dinner.

    Dinner was a vegetarian restaurant that had great reviews on food but dreadful on service. The reviews were not wrong but the food was incredible. Not quite as good as last night but almost.

    So overall, a very unexpected and eventful day 200. Who knows what will happen next!
    Read more