Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 310

    Whales

    July 31, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 14 °C

    Over the last 3 months in Port it has been wahle season. We have made numerous trips down to the lighthouse to watch them pass during sunset. Unfortunately I lost all of my photos of these evenings. But Amelia sent me some of the photos she has taken of the whales. She has a professional camera so was able to take some incredible photos.

    My favourite time we went down to the lighthouse was at the end of June. We went down on a rather windy and freezing evening but it was worth it. It was one of Zuri's final evenings in Port and there were whales everywhere. Just as we were trying to decide if we should leave, we spotted a whale very close to shore. They are usually a few hundred meters out from shore due to the numerous boats. This one has chosen to come between the boats and the coastline.

    The whales swim beneath the waves but pop up every 5-10 minutes to spurt water out. Because it was so close we were able to watch this one for almost 30 minutes. It popped up when it was almost directly below us. Pure luck on our part leading to an incredible moment.

    We spent many evenings at light House but that was definitely the best.
    Read more