Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Train to Cusco

    October 19, 2023 in Peru ⋅ ☁️ 7 °C

    We had a relaxing evening in the hotel bar with some cocktails followed by pizza and wine. The pizza plus 2 glasses of wine came to £15 approx. Such good value.
    We were picked up at 6.40 this morning to go to the station. We had to be there for 7 in order to check in luggage prior to boarding. There was a band playing on the platform.
    The train is very comfortable - a bit like the Pullman we have at home. We had 2 comfortable armchairs and could move around carriage as not very busy. There are three passenger coaches, an observation coach at the back and a coach for the kitchen.
    The train departed at 7.30. Breakfast was available to buy but after that lunch and tea were included along with water, tea and coffee.
    The countryside around Puno was rather bleak but after a while the views improved. It is such a vast country but so much is uninhabitable. There is a lot of poverty and very basic housing. It is strange to see llamas and alpacas roaming freely. Shortly after leaving Puno we went through Juliaca a city of over 1m people and what a grim place this was! The train literally goes through the city centre with market traders almost on the track as the train crawls through.
    On the train we were treated to a display of dancing followed by a fashion show of local alpaca clothing whilst drinking Pisco Sours - obviously in the hope of making a sale,!
    We had a drink before our 3 course lunch which was excellent and beautifully served. The lunch was included in our train ticket. We had soup to start plus three types of bread - tomato, cheese and fruit. This was followed by steak for Bob and Risotto made from quinoa with mushrooms and asparagus for Jane. Dessert was a chocolate slice with strawberry coulis. The meal was served with wine plus coffee and petit fours. Peruvian food continues to impress.
    After lunch we reached the highest point of the journey and stopped for about 10 minutes. Unfortunately it was pouring with rain which will be very welcome to the locals.
    On this journey we have seen overcast skies, sleet, rain and brilliant sunshine. We also had an unfortunate incident that when we left the highest point a passenger was left behind. A bus took him to a town further down the line where the train waited delaying our arrival in to Cusco.
    The scenery is beautiful as we near Cusco. Much greener and more fertile and we pass miles of fields with various crops growing and on the evidence of what we could see little mechanical assistance for the people working in the fields.
    We arrived in to Cusco at 7:45, throughout the journey the train went at a very sedate pace and we were pleased to see our new guide Alejandro waiting at the station to take us on to our hotel.
    Read more