Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Patagonia

    October 29, 2023 in Chile ⋅ 🌬 7 °C

    Well, what a contrast Santiago to Patagonia! Warm, noisy and busy to cold, quiet and at times desolate.
    Yesterday, Saturday, we were collected from our hotel in Santiago for our 11:30 flight down to Punta Arenas in the deep south of Chile, Patagonia. It was cloudy all the way so saw no land until our descent into the airport. The landscape was raw and barren. We were joined by two other couples also travelling with Audley and met by the local representative Francesca who gave us details for the next few days.
    First off we had to wait a couple of hours at the airport for a bus to take us to Puerto Natales where we are staying. This gave us an opportunity to grab something to eat. We then stood outside for a short while waiting for the bus. It was cold! Apparently just two days ago they had 125kph winds here.
    Anyhow the bus arrived OK and off we went. My word the landscape was bleak with the occasional tree virtually bent double. To cap it all before long it started to snow, with the snow coming in sideways! Very little traffic on the road and after nearly three hours travelling arrived at Puerto Natales and checked in to our hotel. The hotel is a bit quirky, quite modern and good fun. Had a couple of drinks and a good meal in the hotel restaurant before stepping outside for a breath of air. It was bitter so within ten minutes we were back inside for coffee and brandy.
    This morning we were to be collected between 7 and 7:30 for a day long tour of the Lakes and Mountains, Torres del Paine National Park and what a glorious day. We woke up to clear blue skies but obviously still cold so we were dressed appropriately with plenty of layers.
    Fabulous day with a number of stopping off points to either take photos or go for a walk into the countryside. We were so lucky to see the famous Cuernos (horns) and Torres (towers). They are often obscured by cloud and this did happen but then they would appear. We also saw various sheep and cattle plus condors and eagles. Now we are experienced condor watchers we can recognise them as they do not flap their wings, they just glide.
    The colour of the lakes with the snow capped mountains behind was magical and had a memorable stop seeing a waterfall. Photos cannot do justice to what we have seen today.
    We arrived back at our hotel about 5 and were amazed to see a load of people in the water kayaking and swimming. Madness.
    Read more