Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Roma

    May 12, 2015 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Day two, we made our way to Rome. There was a bus stop very close to our hotel, and the bus we hopped on took us to the closest subway. When we exited the subway tunnel we were greeted to the spectacular view of the Colosseum; it is enormous. We were also greeted by guys dressed up as Roman soldiers, waiting to swarm around tourists for some funny pictures, and 20 euro; we fell for it. However, we're not that bothered by it, because sometimes you just have to be the typical tourist.

    Getting into the Colosseum took as awhile because of how long the line was, and we were there before 0900. Not only was the line long outside, but inside as well. When you finally are able to get past the gates you're on your own. It's quite the structure, and you can only imagine what it was like to watch the gladiators fight in the those days. You're able to getting pretty high up in the Colosseum, however, there is a section that you can't go to unless you pay for the tour. It's the highest part in the Colosseum, and while I'm sure the view is spectacular, I don't know if it would be worth the price of it.

    After the Colosseum we made our way down the street to the Roman Forum. It's a very beautiful place to walk through, and there was a lot to see. At the end of the Roman Forum, we were greeted with the Altare della Patria, and the incorporated Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It's a huge building, and you are even able to go to the very top for only a few euro, and glass sided elevator ride. Trust us when we say, it is worth the price. The view is spectacular, and you're able to see the Roman Forum, and the Colosseum from the top.

    After we left we made our way through the streets in search of the Pantheon. It can be confusing, but there are signs that direct you to the popular tourist attractions. The Pantheon is a beautiful building in the middle of normal buildings; they just built around it, and only gave it as much space as needed. From there we made our way to various churches, and then the Spanish Steps. I don't remember how many churches we went to, but they were all beautiful, and very different from each other. Our advice, just go into every church you see, because they're all beautiful. To no one's surprise, the Spanish Steps were filled with tourists trying to find a part of the steps to sit down, and take a break from all the sightseeing. It was one of our favorite part of Rome, just because we were able to sit, and eat some delicious tiramisu from Pompi Tiramisu, which is only a minute or two from the Spanish Steps. I'm serious when I say that it was one of the best things we ate in Rome, and one of the best desserts we ever had.

    From there we made our wait to the Trevi Fountain, and to our disappointment, it was under renovation. A walk way was provided to get a closer look at the statues, but we were sad that we couldn't see the fountain in all it's glory.

    After the fountain we began to make our way to the Galleria Borghese, but we ended up getting there only a few minutes before it closed, so we decided to skip it. We were also pretty tired from all the walking, and sightseeing, so we just ended up grabbing a cab, and making our way to our final destination, Castel Sant'Angelo. Our plan was to find a restaurant overlooking the building, but there weren't any, so we just settled on a little restaurant. Castel Santel'Angelo was closing by the time we arrived, but we were still able to appreciate the statues on the bridge, and the building itself. While we were walking around the building trying to find a great view for a picture we stubbled upon the Vatican, and we were both surprised as to just how close everything was to each other. We then hopped into a cab, and made our way back to the hotel.

    Rome is a must see, but we recommend spending two or more days in Rome. We only gave ourselves one day in Rome, and while we saw the majority of what we wanted, there were a few places we missed.

    <b>Pompi Tiramisu</b> - Via della Croce, 82, 00187 Roma, Italy
    Read more