Satellite
Show on map
  • Saltwater Joys

    September 6, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    The title of this blog is taken from a beautiful song by Buddy Wasisname and the Other Fellers...check it out!)

    There is no time to waste in a place like Newfoundland with so much to see! Today’s itinerary included a Western Brook Pond Boat Tour where we saw the landlocked fjord of Western Brook Pond in Gros More National Park. Western Brook Pond is the park’s largest lake (16km with a depth of 165 metres) and it is spectacular to see! An easy hike of 3 km brought us to the dock. After a picnic lunch which included gravol for me on advice of the captain who cautioned us about the choppy waters (hints of Dorian’s pending arrival). The boat ride was so much fun. The crew entertained us with facts, music and Kern and I even got to play the spoons on the upper deck!

    Next stop was Lobster Head Cove Lighthouse. Anything to do with lobster, I am game! Aside from the lighthouse, there were several trails right along the coast and a tuckamore forest (think of those scraggy, bent spruce trees clinging to the cliffs in the wind) . Even more exciting was sitting in the Parks Canada “Red Chairs” overlooking the ocean towards Rocky Harbour where Stan Collins lives. We’ve been following his twitter feed since planning this trip. If you are not following him, you might want to consider it! His photos are great as are his tweets! And, back to the red chairs, the Parks Canada “Red Chairs” program began in Gros Morne! Does anyone know how many “red chairs” there are in the Parks Canada program? 102 in all and they can be found in select national parks and historic sites across Canada.

    Then it was time to wet our whistles at the Cat Stop Pub and Grub in Norris Point and be entertained by local talent before we had dinner at Neddie’s Harbour Inn. Halibut, mussels, lobster fettuccine with squid ink…oh la la! Here we were served by none other than Daphne who was waitress extraordinaire!

    All the while keeping an eye on Hurricane Dorian news as we hear it will be joining us soon!
    Read more