Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Wheels up: Bonavista Peninsula

    September 11, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Well, it was really “wheels rolling” as we loaded the car after a scrumptious breakfast served to us by Audra at Applewood B&B. Ham and egg cups, fresh fruit and 5 kinds of homemade jam- bakeapple, partridge berry, blueberry, beet jelly, rhubarb jam and good old peanut butter! I tried 4 out of 5 jams but only because I ran out of toast and couldn’t eat anymore!

    Just an hour out of Twillingate, we stopped at the Beothuk Interpretive Centre. Here we learned about the indigenous group, the Beothuk, who lived in the area from 1650 to 1720. The Centre has a beautiful Spirit Garden where you can make an ornament of sorts from seashells, feathers, bark, etc and attach your name or someone else’s to it. You then hang it on one of the trees. It was such a special little sacred space in among the birch trees- made more poignant given today is the anniversary of 9/11.

    We arrived at our destination late afternoon- hungry and thirsty! We stopped at the Port Rexton Brewing Company for a flight of beer and lunch at Oh My Cheeses where there were lots of choices for variations on a grilled cheese sandwich! Yum! Yum!
    Read more