Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Olympia - visit

    March 14, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 55 °F

    Great dinner last night (huge buffet) - nice hotel - comfortable beds. Enjoyed dining with Julie and Michael - new friends on our tour! All liberals - so a happy bunch. :) Huge buffet breakfast. Making new friends - large assortment of ages on this tour which is nice. The group seems very compatible. Sun is shining again today. Got slightly torched yesterday and of course had forgotten my sunscreen , hat, etc. borrowed some 50 from s fellow traveler which will save my butt today, no doubt.

    Olympia (Greek: Ὀλυμπία; Ancient Greek: [olympía]; Modern Greek: [oli(m)ˈbia] Olymbía), a sanctuary of ancient Greece in Elis on the Peloponnese peninsula, is known for having been the site of the Olympic Games in classical times.

    The Olympic Games were held every four years throughout Classical antiquity, from the 8th century BC to the 4th century AD.[2]

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympia,_Greece (for those of you curious enough to want to know more!). Spent a few hours wandering slowly through here with Effie giving us great commentary as usual. Had some fun at the track with people racing down it, especially the ladies who were feeling in a defiant spirit, since women weren't allow to participate or even observe the Games! Picture of Jan and I in front of the Phillippeion.
    Read more