Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Nikko

    March 16, 2018 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    We are on our way to Nikko, catching multiple trains and ascending from 113 mts to 533 mts. Have been excited to see our first real blossoms on the occasional tree while looking out the train windows. There are so many high rise buildings to house the incredible population then all of a sudden there is a Temple or Shrine 100's of years old just sitting under the shadow of these multi-story concrete constructions. Before our change of train at Utsunomiya the scenery became increasingly rural with larger homes , more trees and farms. We went past a solar farm and then could just see snow on the tops of the mountains.
    Charles and his wife ran the Guest house and cook all the meals, magnificent meals oh so tasty. We had the four beds in the one room an a unit bathroom, it's a prefabricated bathroom that looks like it's just lifted into the house in one go.
    We arrived in Nikko, it was a bit cooler than what we had experienced in Tokyo so coats were on. We found the hire car Nissan place and hired a nice big van. It wasn't hard to find The Teddy Bear house as it was on one of the main roads from the village.
    Read more