Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 83 - Luxor, Egypt

    September 30, 2023 in Egypt ⋅ ☀️ 44 °C

    This morning we woke up from a bit of a restless night of sleep, from the heat over night. We believe it dropped to a balmy 26degrees and just started to heat up from there from 6am!

    Breakfast consisted of omelet’s, pancakes & fruit on the Felucca, whilst we ate breakfast the crew rowed the boat over to the East side bank, where we would be picked up by a bus to be taken to Luxor.

    We said goodbye to the Felucca crew and got into the bus, this drive will be a 4 to 5hour drive to Luxor.

    After about 5 hours we made it to Luxor, Mohamed had organised us lunch to be picked up which was Falafel for some or Chicken wraps for others.
    We then went to see ACE - Animal Care in Egypt, an animal hospital that is apart of Intrepid’s Foundation to give back to local communities. We got a tour of the cattery, kennels, horse/donkey stables & got to meet the resident Tortoise. They house about 30 or so cats at once and try to neuter them to keep numbers down, for dogs they try not too, because it will be harder to interact with other dogs or get targeted by stray dogs. They are seeing more Husky dogs come to Egypt unfortunately.

    We left ACE and headed for Karnak Temple in Luxor. The Temple of Karnak was believed to be the spot where creation began. They also believed it was a point of interaction between the god Amun-Ra and Egyptians. It is important to Egypt's cultural history because it was a place of worship and provides clues about the ancient Egyptian religion. Each Pharaoh or King added to the temple as they believed if they did this they would please the gods. We spent a couple of hours here, I could of stayed the whole day but at 44 degrees in full sun, could unfortunately only last a couple of hours.

    Mohamed took us to a local eatery for dinner close to the hotel, this was just off the side of the bazaar markets. I had the local dish of Stuffed Pigeon & shared it with another guy in the trip so I could have some of his Camel Burger. There is too much admin required for Pigeon for not a lot of meat and Camel wasn’t a heap different from mince burger… we think they saw us coming personally. We tried to get an early night ready for the next day at The Valley of Kings.
    Read more