Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 50

    The road to Ningaloo Reef

    June 10, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Bruce joined me in Carnarvon and plans to travel with me for as long as we can both live so closely together. A challenge for us!
    Leaving Carnarvon we camped in the dunes at the blow holes and the wild weather arrived. Continuous rain and gale force winds resulted in little sleep that night. I did discover my van has a leak which meant wet bedding. - not happy.
    The following night we free camped by a dry river bed. In the morning we planned to run up the river bed. Imagine our surprise to find a fast flowing river (photo 1).
    We spent a couple of days relaxing at Bullara Station. A 250, 000 acre working station that also derives income from tourism. A very well managed and comfortable spot to chill - the coffee and scones available on site were delicious.
    Our introduction to Ningaloo Reef was camping at Mandu Mandu Beach (a part of the National Parks service) and exploring the Gorge and the beaches. Spot the rock wallaby in photo 4. I'm intrigued by how they manage to scale the face of the Gorge.
    So many beautiful sunrises, sunsets and starry nights. I'm loving the Australian outback more each day.
    Read more