Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    A Day in Dublin

    November 3, 2023 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    We decided to take in the sights of Dublin today on a ‘Do Dublin’ hop on/hop off tour. We got to cross Dublin’s most photographed bridge - the Ha’Penny Bridge over the River Liffey on our way to the tour bus. The Irish are amazing storytellers and each of our tour bus drivers put a different spin on the city. We got to see places that great writers like Oscar Wilde and James Joyce lived, we learned about important leaders in Irish history, and we took in so much of the city on an amazingly sunny day in Dublin.

    The bus tour was perfect because it had a stop at the Guinness Storehouse and we had a tour booked there at 11. The beautiful thing about the tour is that it is self guided and we were able to take in each floor at our own pace. It was interesting to learn about the brewing process and the history of Guinness. In the building is also a copy of the 9000 year lease that Arthur Guinness signed for the site of the brewery 150 years ago.

    The tour culminated with a free pint at the “Gravity Bar” on the 7th story of the Storehouse with 360 degree panoramic views of Dublin and into the countryside. We were all grateful that the weather afforded us the opportunity to see so much of the country.

    After the tour and our pint we had worked up an appetite and hopped on the bus to take us to our next stop - Nancy Hands for some lunch. We commiserated on our next move and decided to take in Trinity College, The Book of Kells & The Old Library/Long Room. It was well worth the stop. It was graduation day on campus and there were a collection of graduates taking photos in front of the Bell Tower. We were awed by the history of the Book of Kells - and stunned when we walked into The Long Room with its rows of books.

    What a fine day we had in Dublin.
    Read more