Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Day 3, Roncesvalles to Zubiri

    May 26, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    It was wonderful to set out today with clear blue skies above and sun beaming down on us. Even at 7.45, with the temperature at 6 degrees, the chill had gone. As we left Roncevalles, we exchanged contact details and said goodbye to Dominique, a Parisian great-grandmother on her way to Bordeaux to see her great-grandchild.
    The walking for much of the day was level and easy, through verdant countryside, forests where they used to burn witches in the 16th century and medieval villages which provided today’s pilgrims with coffee, tortilla and delicious cherries and apricots.
    The final 3-4 kilometres were steeply downhill on uneven bedrock and made for a pretty tough end to walk.

    We were extremely relieved to enter Zubiri and then disappointed to discover our accommodation was at the far end of the town. Our 21.8 km walk ended up being 23.6 km ( not sure why that always happens). However, our lovely host, Sara, made us feel extremely welcome and the place, Suseia, appears to be lovely. Fiona and I are both tired and delighted dinner is at 6.30! It should be a jolly night - 6 of the guests are Irish and we’ve met them all already. There’s an English guy called James and one Spaniard and Sara has a reputation for providing good food. Let’s hope so because we are HUNGRY!
    Read more