Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Tokyo sky tree

    March 19 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Stop 4
    Tokyo sky tree
    After a dose of much needed spiritual healing at the shrine, we headed over to the Tokyo sky tree for the best views of the city. Similarly to the Tokyo Tower, the sky tree is a former radio mast but it's much taller. We got in before sunset and watched the Tokyo skyline light up as the sun set. Loads of other people obviously had the same idea as the observation floors were quite busy. We spent about an hour there snapping a few good pics of the Tokyo Tower.

    Stop 5
    Shinjuku nightlife!
    We went to an alleyway in Shinjuku called Omoide Yokocho. It originated as a post second world war black market, but is now famous for its nightlife with an emphasis on (allegedly) cheap drinks and yakitori which are charcoal grilled skewers. Some restaurants serve things like barbecued skin, cartilage, ovaries and vagina so make sure you check the menu before entering. We found a vagina free eatery and proceed to order some Japanese classics I have been dying to try: pork belly yakitori (skewers), okonomiyaki (savoury pancakes with vegetable and/or squid), takoyaki (small spherical savoury pancakes with vegetables or squid) and karage which are fried pieces of chicken thigh. All very tasty and went well with a pint of Asahi super dry. Sinead seemed pleased with her highball Japanese whisky cocktail. The atmosphere was pretty noisy, but it was fun to see all the businessmen in their uniform black suits let their hair down. Some of them even crossed the road during red light. So out of character. Outrageous. What would their mammies say?
    Read more