Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Sunday in Merida

    March 17 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    We decided to get up early this morning and go explore central Merida on market day before it got too hot. It was only 29 degrees when we set out this morning.

    We zig zagged our way to the central plaza - about a 2.5 km walk.

    Once downtown we perused all the central market stalls and then wandered to several blocks around the market where we were told we would find real Mayan products. Interestingly many men stopped us along the way to tell us we should go a different way for just a few meters to see a particular shop. After a while we looked at each other and said this is like being in Istanbul - "come let me take you to my uncle's shop for tea and see his carpets" - but it was all good fun nonetheless.

    While wandering these streets we came across a parade of sorts. Don't ask what it was about. No idea! 🤔

    We stopped at a lovely little restaurant with a courtyard patio out back for coffee and a snack. Then back to Pola Gelato. Today I tried the lemon and rosemary. Very good.

    Then it was time to start the walk home. Along the way we came across what seemed to be an about to start musical performance so we took some seats. Turns out it was some cartoon characters dancing around and trying to get kids to come join in the fun.

    Halfway back to our place we stopped at another local restaurant for a drink called Jamaica here. It is made with hibiscus flowers steeped in water and some sugar. Nice and tart. It is used as well for what is called a Jamaica margarita. A fellow stopped me in Costco one day to tell me how to make it when he saw we had some tequila in our basket.

    Finally home and very hot, we had a long dip in the pool.
    Read more