Uydu
Haritada göster
  • Gün 75

    Lussier Hot Springs to Nelson

    8 Ekim 2022, Kanada ⋅ 🌙 16 °C

    Fri 7th: After a 52 min drive down the 9 km road, we said goodbye to Fernie and headed south to Whiteswan Province Park where we had read about some natural hot springs next to a river. After another bumpy 17.5 km forest road we reached them about 5 pm. There were about 4 different pools made up with boulders of differing temperatures, absolutely beautiful with a swallow river running right alongside. We probably spent about 2 hrs there - great place to start chatting to people. Afterwards we headed further along the road to find a campground, however, two that we passed were all closed for the season so we ended up parking in a carpark beside Whiteswan Lake.
    Sat 8th: I suggested to Doug that we get up early- 7am, and head for a soak in the pools in the chilly morning air and before they got busy. So there was only one other person in them when we got there. Nearly 3 hrs later, after some hearty conversation about covid and governments handling of it, and housing prices etc, and other natural hot springs to visit, with a Russian couple about our age now living in Calgary and a young bloke also from Calgary - mid 20s who immigrated with his family from Zimbabwe, we emerged from the pools to carry on our way. First stopping at Kimberly - we were going to do a hike there, but it was getting a bit late to do, and because they didn't have a Laundromat which we were in desperate need off decided to carry on to Cranbrook, which was much bigger than we thought and more a city. Anyway found a Laundromat - yay for clean clothes again - and carried on south looking for somewhere to stay - about 45 mins later, we just pulled into a logging road just off the highway and that will do us tonight.
    Sun 9th: Headed north, alongside the eastern side of Kootenay Lake. Came across a glass house that was totally amazing. Designed and built in 1952, by a retired funeral director, he recycled over 600,000 square glass embalming bottles to build the cloverleaf pattern house (3 round rooms) and landscaped the grounds with bridges and lookout towers on a rocky site next to the lake. Right from the start there was a lot of interest in it so he decided to open it to the public during summer - today was the last day for the season. His son and family now own it and continue to show it. After that we continued to Kootenay Bay to catch the ferry across the lake. Stopping at a craft shop at Crawford Bay, the owner suggested we might like to do some walks in the area first. So we did a pleasant 3km around the wetlands - again no Beavers at the beaver dam. Then drove, and did a short stroll to the Pilot Bay Lakehouse. And then a 7.4 km return run along the Lakeshore Track to Boomers Landing and back. Apparently there is major forest fires in Idaho, which has caused very bad smoke haze here, which is a shame, we could only just make out the mountains on the other side of the lake. We then caught the 5.20 pm ferry which was a pleasant 35 min trip across the lake to Balfour, and then a 30 km drive to Nelson. We had trouble finding a spot to park up on the way - very residential right along the lake. So found a carpark just of the main road before the bridge - I think it might be a noisy night. Steps V 16384.
    Okumaya devam et