Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 78

    Nelson and Halfway Hot Springs

    October 11, 2022 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Mon 10th: Went and checked out the old Town centre of Nelson, not very exciting, and since it was a Public Holiday (Thanksgiving) nothing was open, not even the visitor centre, so after a grocery shop, decided to do the popular Pulpit Rock walk that gives good views of the town across the lake. It is a 3 stage walk, with Pulpit Rock the first, then Flagpole which we went to and then you can carry on to top of Mt Nelson, but we didn't see the benefit of going further, views would be no better as it was still quite hazy. Hike stats: 7.08 km, 1hr 54, 666 m. We then spent the rest of the day driving to Halfway Hot Springs north of Nakusp, yay, not - another 11 km forest road to bump along. Got there about 5pm and found a spot in the campground, then did the short walk about 500m and lots of stairs down to the pools. The top 3 pools were more formed pools compared too Lussier, however there were some more littler ones a bit further along just dug out by the side of the rockface. After hour and half we made our way back, luckily Doug went back for the torch as we were heading there because it was quite dark when we were returning.
    Tue 11th: Had another couple of hours in the pools this morning before heading away. We headed towards Vernom and the Okanagan Valley by going back down to Nakusp and down along the eastern side of the Upper Arrow Lake, which was quite picturesque, especially where we stopped for lunch at Burtons Flats. At Fauquier, there was a 10 min ferry across to the other side (all the lake ferries are free, I presume in all of Canada but definitely in BC), and then it was just driving until about 5 pm when we found a forest service road to pull off into just after Lumby - about 15 kms to go before Vernom. Steps V 6870 (I'm missing my hikes)
    Read more