Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Salzburg, Austria

    September 18, 2015 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    We got breakfast at Heart of Joy, a vegetarian/vegan restaurant. Myron got scrambled eggs and I got a boiled egg and croissant. We took the Bus 25 to Hellbrunn Palace trick fountains (incl in Salzburg card). It was a neat experience, definitely funny but I wish I wore quick-dry clothes because we did get wet! We toured the palace after the trick fountains tour and had an audio guide. It was a short visit. We took a 20 minute bus ride back to the city.

    Back in Salzburg, we went to Franziskaner Kirche, the largest cathedral in Europe. We walked through the farmer's market and bought steigl beers and pretzel sandwiches. We happened upon a trdelnik (the first one we've seen since Prague!) but it wasn't as good as in Prague because it was served cold.

    We took a local bus to Steigl brewery for a beer tour at 3pm (incl. in Salzburg card). This was a great value and included the tour, tasting of 3 beers, a free gift and lots of information! We have been on a lot of beer tours and found the information really useful. The 3pm tour is the only one in English. After the tour, we had more beers and ice-cream with some new friends from Toronto, Troy and Lisa.

    We headed back to downtown Salzburg for dinner at Zirkelwirt which was delicious. I got cheese spaezle (basically macaroni and cheese!) with salad and Myron got "mystery dumplings". Soon after we returned to the hotel for early mornings ahead!
    Read more