Satellite
  • Day 4

    Floreana, Galapagos Islands

    August 11, 2013 in Ecuador ⋅ ⛅ 68 °F

    It was a really rough night for a few hours. Woke up around 6AM for a busy day. Breakfast was around 7:30.

    At 8;15, we left for a wet landing at Cormorant Point. We had a hike to a nearby lagoon. On the walk we saw some more sally lightfoot crabs, sea lions, blue footed boobies, great frigate birds, great flamingos, cranes, lava lizards, great blue heron, straibd heron, yellow warbler and some smaller birds. we continued on to a smaller beach that is a turtle nesting area. Here we saw some birds and diamond backed stingrays.

    We returned to the boat at 10 for a 10:30 snorkel off the Devil's Crown. Here we saw lots of fish, sea turtles, sea lions and the camera worked! Back by 11:30 for lunch at 12. Ceviche soup, pork and potato cake and flambeed plantains with chocolate sauce. Small break before 2:30 disembark at Post office Bay.

    First we snorkeled off the beach, saw sea turtles, sting rays, octopus, many fish. Then we dried off and walked to a lava tunnel where we climbed down into total darkness. Walked to post office bay where we mailed postcards and picked up two, from Jamaica Plain and Manchester by the Sea (Myron delivered the JP one after work one day and we drove up to Manchester to deliver the other one). We mailed two to our families but they ended up getting them in the mail (not the point of the original post office bay which was to hand-deliver the mail).

    Then a dinghy ride ~1 hr to see Great Frigatebird (male and female) and Brown Pelicans. Back to boat to shower. Dinner was spaghetti, meat sauce, garlic bread and salad. Tres leches cake for dessert. A sea lion "hitchhiker" jumped on the back of our boat for a little while.
    Read more