Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Amsterdam - Rijksmuseum

    February 20, 2017 in the Netherlands ⋅ 🌧 46 °F

    We woke up and had cereal and yogurt in our apt. We walked over to the Rijksmuseum with some stops for souvenirs, Hard Rock Cafe stuff and to buy some more diapers for Maggie. We spent from 11am to 3:30pm at the museum and only saw about half of the pieces there. The museum is the national museum of the Netherlands so it's huge and comprehensive. There were tons of pieces by Dutch artists like Rembrandt and Vermeer. We had lunch at the cafe there: soup and sandwich with wine and beer. It was tasty but overpriced (as was much of the food in Amsterdam). The audio guides we had downloaded in advance were good. The museum had free Wifi which was required to use the audio guides. The museum was well equipped for the stroller and had lots of elevators. We wish we had pre-booked the highlights tour that they have every day at 11am, but by the time I realized we were supposed to pre-book it, there was only 1 spot left.

    After we finished up there (we were really tired of museum-ing), we walked about 45min to Brouwer'tij, the windmill brewery and had a few drinks and bar snacks. We walked back to the city center as the sun was going down. The RLD was quite lively at night! We weren't really sure what we were going to do for dinner but we walked by the Butcher which is a burger restaurant so we figured we'd just stop there and have a quick dinner before heading home. It was just OK, nothing special. The service was fast and we got back to the apt quickly to call it a night.
    Read more